Friday, February 10, 2012

Baby, Its Cold Outside

I'm running just a but hyper-energized, what with receiving my certification, nabbing a job (tutoring community college students), and an interview at an ACTUAL SCHOOL.  I've already vacuumed my carpet to a beautiful fluffy finish, so alas, more blogging!

Today's topic? Hot Chocolate Cupcakes!


The inspiration for this cupcake came many moons ago.  My super fabulous Uncle mike tipped me off to the cupcakes at..Wegman's.  Yea that's right-the grocery store.  During our Christmas food shopping, I mosied on over to the confections case and checked out the cupcakes.  They had an adorable marshmallow & chocolate cupcake, with all sorts of pretty piping.  And the idea hit me like a flash: make this at my former workplace (my home away from home, and use chocolate lava cake, to make it seem like hot chocolate.

Any chocolate cupcake recipe works here.  I used the gluten-free lava cake recipe from The Cupcake Diaries.

The key to gluten-free?  Read the directions before you mix.  Over-mixing the flour makes it look very odd.

I consider myself a professional children's baker.  Having made dozens of cupcakes with kids, I know what elements make for the most fun.  The oven at school hates me, and I burned half the stuff I made, so sometimes, I baked at home.  How are pre-made cupcakes fun for kids?  You need multiple steps and components to engage the kids and teach them techniques at the same time.

First, we made the marshmallow buttercream.  This consists of a jar of fluff, a few tablespoons of sour cream, and a little vanilla.  The toughest part for me is getting it out of the container.  But once you do, you're set.

Next, we set up an assembly line.  The kids had to core the middle from their cupcake (or have my wonderful friend Miss Patty help) and spoon in warm chocolate ganache.  Then, they replaced the core, and frosted with the marshmallow buttercream.  Finally, they dusted the top with cocoa powder (just a smidge) and mini marshmallows.  The result?  A gooey, sticky, delicious mess that the munchkins loved.
Actual child's cupcake



No comments:

Post a Comment