Friday, February 24, 2012

Chocolate Reese's Peanut Butter Cupcakes


I'm *finally* doing it!
I am about to dive head-first into the challenging applications for NYC schools.  I feel like I'm right back in Mrs. Hukari's AP Lit class, scrambling to write a compelling essay that shows colleges who you are, in 500 words or less.
What I learned in college is that for my writing to really shine, it needs as many drafts as time will allow.  I have a few weeks, so I have time.  There is nothing better than when you compare your fifth draft to your first, and you say "ohmyGOSH!  Did I actually write that?"  So sweet.
In spite of all this knowledge, this is not fun.  Actually, it is kind of a sucky way to spend a Friday evening.  To pep myself up before the outlining begins, I will a) eat a delicious cupcake:

and b) write about my only true candy love: Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I love ALL Reese's products.  Even the weird third-cousin candy relatives, like the Crunchy Cookie Cups, circa 1997.  (Remember those??)
I love:
  • Reese's Miniatures
  • Reese's Big Cup
  • Reese's Pieces
  • Reese's in holiday shapes (egg! heart! pumpkin!)
  • Nutraegous
  • Fast Break
  • and Reese's Sticks
But my newest love?  Reese's minis.  My mother and I are a little obsessed with them.  They stopped selling them at the grocery store, so my mom started buying king-size packages, for the candy dish.  They are just the most delightfully adorable, bite-size version of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  And I have been jonesin' to find a way to attach them to a cupcake.  Guess what?  I did!

 Peanut Butter Cup-Cakes
Cupcakes:
  • Package of chocolate cake mix
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (OR chocolate extract, should you have it.)
  • Reese's minis, and Peanut Butter Frosting (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350, line 2 cupcake pans with liners.
2. Combine cake mix and next 4 ingredients in large bowl.  Mix with electric or stand mixer, stopping after 45 seconds to scrape sides of bowl.  Mix for about 2 minutes, or until looks blended.
3. Spray a 1/3 cup measuring cup with vegetable spray, and use this to easily and evenly distribute batter in pans.
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cupcake springs back when pressed.
5. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on wire racks before frosting.

Peanut Butter Frosting (from Allrecipes)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoons milk, or as needed
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Mix butter and peanut butter with stand mixture until creamy.
2. Slowly add sugar, alternating with milk, to get desired consistency.
WARNING: This frosting is delicious and addictive.


To decorate, pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes.  Garnish with an adorable Reese's mini cup (one king-size bag should have just the right amount).
DELICIOUS.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you are rocking out those cupcakes faster than Alturo dishes up french fries/your fling with Adam's best friend/I can read a Harry Potter book/etc. Those look delish -- you should try the Trader Joe Peanut butter cups. Those are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete