Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cupcake Therapy

When I was in college, I took the most fabulous seminar on "positive" psychology.  The goal of the course was to teach us how to live happier, better lives.   I remember the moment of panic I had when I read over the semester project: find a way to improve your life.  In a million years,  I never thought I would, or that what I learned would impact my life on a daily basis.  But it did.  I was reading the Food section of the Post today, which features some cupcake articles, and one article took me back to that class.  The author theorizes that the rise of the gourmet cupcakery is more about the experience than just the dessert. 
Reading that transported me back to that Psychology class, where we learned that while a good life could be filled with things, an exceptional life is filled with experiences.  Give the gift of a fun time, not a jewelry box.  DO something.  And maybe that is precisely why I enjoy visiting cupcakeries so much.  Beyond the value of enjoying a great treat, I value the experiences with my friends & family, sitting around and savoring our cupcakes and our time together.  Sounds like a life well-lived to me.
Check out the article here: The Psychology of Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment